Unveiling of the Convent Model
The Gibraltar Museum will be joining museums all over the world for this years International Museums Day on the theme of Museums in a Changing World.
This is the tenth year the museum participates in the event. In connection with the official date of International Museums Day – the 18th May – there will be an unveiling of a model of the Convent by Mayor Julio Alcantara at the Gibraltar Museum.
This model was commissioned by former Mayor Solomon Levy and journalist Joe Garcia as a gift to the then Governor and friend of Gibraltar, Sir William Jackson. It was made by the late Charles Anes and the entire façade is made of marble. In turn, Sir William bequeathed the model to the people of Gibraltar, in his will.
Situated in what was then an area where the poorer people lived, called la Turba, the present-day Governors residence started life as a Convent of Franciscan Friars, hence its name. It remained a Friary until 1728, when it became the official residence of the Governor.
Originally, the rear of the Convent, the present façade was heavily modified in Georgian style, with later Victorian additions. The terrace atop the portico is traditionally where the Governor takes the salute and from this same terrace where Her Majesty the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh waved to the crowds during their visit to Gibraltar.
Add to Facebook Add to Twitter Main News
Refer http://www.gibnews.net/cgi-bin/gn_view.pl/?GOGX120515_2.xmlRead More!
- Change of ADC at the Convent
- Convent open day
- Protest outside the Convent
- Gibraltar Award recipients at Convent investiture
Convent Model Unveiling
- GIBRALTAR: Mayor presents beautification award to residents, business
- Gibraltar Savings Bank
- HMG does not undertake meetings that constitute the Bilateral Process on Gibraltar
- HMS Sutherland conducts security patrols in BGTW
- Christmas Fair success
- GSD Asks Bossano to Calm Down
- Ministerial statement by William Hague
- Chief Minister meets Prime Minister in Downing Street
- GSD Continue Concerned over Macaques
- Royal Gibraltar Regiment MTP, medals and Movember
- Two Men Receive Prison Sentences for Indecent Assault
- Gibraltar Take Part in First European Draws
- Disability Movement Puts Things Right
- PDP hold Annual General Meeting
- Gibraltar Solutions Named as a Top Employer in the Greater Toronto Area!
- Newton creative awards 2012 – Music
- 39 months for Grievous bodily Harm with Intent
- GSD says ‘Government accusations of Cheating at the last elections are as foolish as they are false’.
- The Royal Gibraltar Police is Awarded the Bronze Level in Investors In People
- Handbags and gladrags event raises 570 pounds for women’s refuge