Strongmen pull a bus at Casemates
Saturday at Casemates saw an novel competition to promote the first Strongman Champions League event in Gibraltar with the competitors engaged the first Trials of Strength – the truck pull.
The trial featured a public transport vehicles a bus weighing around 10,000 Kg (10 Ton). This was a time trial where the competitors are harnessed to the front end of the Bus, they had to pull the bus a distance of 30m in the shortest possible time.
The participants were from a number of countries including some of the top athletes in the sport, Misha Koklyaev (Russia), Ervin Katona (Serbia), Zydrunas Savickas (Lithuania), Laurence Shahlaei (Iran), Terry Hollands and Rob Frampton (UK), Agris Kazelniks (Latvia), Juan Carlos Herredia (Spain), Jarno Hams (Holland) and others. Our very own Daniel Gracia (Gibraltar) is invited to take part in the competition, Daniel is currently training to compete at professional level coming 6th in another competition held in Sweden.
The Strongman Champions League is held every year around the world and has accepted Gibraltar as one of their official venues for the competitors to gather points for the Champions League. The whole series is televised on Eurosport 1 & 2 reaching about 800 million viewers through Eurosport and national channels in 85 countries. Strongman CL Gibraltar will be televised on Eurosport in November 2012.
The SCL GIBRALTAR is the 6th competition this year (out of 14) and Zydrunas Savickas is leading in the ranking at the moment.
All competition venues include the host countrys own traditional Trial of Strength featuring a local element, as is the case for Gibraltar one of the trials will involve a farmers carry of 2 iron cannons.
The first official event is sponsored by the Gibraltar Government, was held on Sunday 2nd September 2012, at the Tercentenary Sports Arena, Victoria Stadium.
Add to Facebook Add to Twitter Main News
Refer http://www.gibnews.net/cgi-bin/gn_view.pl/?GPIX120903_1.xmlRead More!
- Art in action at Casemates
Casemates pull Strongmen
- GIBRALTAR: Mayor presents beautification award to residents, business
- Gibraltar Savings Bank
- HMG does not undertake meetings that constitute the Bilateral Process on Gibraltar
- HMS Sutherland conducts security patrols in BGTW
- Christmas Fair success
- GSD Asks Bossano to Calm Down
- Ministerial statement by William Hague
- Chief Minister meets Prime Minister in Downing Street
- GSD Continue Concerned over Macaques
- Royal Gibraltar Regiment MTP, medals and Movember
- Two Men Receive Prison Sentences for Indecent Assault
- Gibraltar Take Part in First European Draws
- Disability Movement Puts Things Right
- PDP hold Annual General Meeting
- Gibraltar Solutions Named as a Top Employer in the Greater Toronto Area!
- Newton creative awards 2012 – Music
- 39 months for Grievous bodily Harm with Intent
- GSD says ‘Government accusations of Cheating at the last elections are as foolish as they are false’.
- The Royal Gibraltar Police is Awarded the Bronze Level in Investors In People
- Handbags and gladrags event raises 570 pounds for women’s refuge