Spain Muddies Gibraltar’s Waters
For the third time in three months the Spanish Guarda Civil have exercised jurisdiction over British Gibraltar Territorial Waters. The latest incursion took place late July and most worryingly, the Guardia Civil have taken their actions to a disturbing new level by detaining a boat and Gibraltarian crew legitimately fishing in British Waters.
This is the latest in a long line of recent Spanish incursions carried out by the Guarda Civil, with each transgression being more serious than the last.
It is self-evident that the Spanish authorities are using the issue of their sovereignty dispute to deflect public and media attention from its domestic problems. The economic success of Gibraltar provides thousands of jobs for Spaniards who cross the border daily. I believe that the Spanish authorities should be looking at ways of increasing cross-border co-operation rather than harassing legitimate Gibraltarian fishermen.
I am highly frustrated that the incursions are not just continuing but are escalating. It is obvious that the current diplomatic ’slap on the wrist’ by way of diplomatic protests is not working and that stronger action is needed.
This intimidation has got to stop. I have written to the Government calling on them to take steps to stop this kind of cross border nonsense.
Ashley Fox MEP
Add to Facebook Add to Twitter Main News
Refer http://www.gibnews.net/cgi-bin/gn_view.pl/?CONP120801_1.xmlRead More!
- Incursions into British Gibraltar Territorial Waters
- Britain and Spain trade blows over Gibraltar
- British Gibraltar Territorial Waters (BGTW)
- Government takes a very serious view of threats from Spain
- Group: 10 pct of Spain workers in Gibraltar fired
Gibraltar's Muddies Spain waters
- GIBRALTAR: Mayor presents beautification award to residents, business
- Gibraltar Savings Bank
- HMG does not undertake meetings that constitute the Bilateral Process on Gibraltar
- HMS Sutherland conducts security patrols in BGTW
- Christmas Fair success
- GSD Asks Bossano to Calm Down
- Ministerial statement by William Hague
- Chief Minister meets Prime Minister in Downing Street
- GSD Continue Concerned over Macaques
- Royal Gibraltar Regiment MTP, medals and Movember
- Two Men Receive Prison Sentences for Indecent Assault
- Gibraltar Take Part in First European Draws
- Disability Movement Puts Things Right
- PDP hold Annual General Meeting
- Gibraltar Solutions Named as a Top Employer in the Greater Toronto Area!
- Newton creative awards 2012 – Music
- 39 months for Grievous bodily Harm with Intent
- GSD says ‘Government accusations of Cheating at the last elections are as foolish as they are false’.
- The Royal Gibraltar Police is Awarded the Bronze Level in Investors In People
- Handbags and gladrags event raises 570 pounds for women’s refuge