Solar-powered lights for new car park
The new Queensway car park alongside Kings Wharf has been equipped with photovoltaic lamps which are Gibraltars first solar-powered streetlights.
The system has been specifically designed to provide lighting, with very low running costs, and has avoided the need to lay electricity infrastructure in the area.
The installation of ten double lamps and four single lamps has cost just under £30,000. This is slightly more expensive than traditional lights but considerable savings have been made by not laying a new power supply to the car park. Clearly, further savings will be made by not using any electricity provided in the traditional way by the generating stations.
This is the first step in implementing the Government policy in reducing and restricting growth in energy consumption from traditional means.
We are committed to proving environmentally-friendly solutions wherever we can, said Minister for the Environment, the Hon Dr John Cortes. And we are now working on a project to install solar-powered lighting along the frontier loop.
Add to Facebook Add to Twitter Main News
Refer http://www.gibnews.net/cgi-bin/gn_view.pl/?GOGX120914_2.xmlRead More!
- Gibraltar lights up for Christmas
- GSD Now Support a Park they Never Delivered
- Opposition seeks to ‘Rubbish’ the Commonwealth Park
lights Park Solarpowered
- GIBRALTAR: Mayor presents beautification award to residents, business
- Gibraltar Savings Bank
- HMG does not undertake meetings that constitute the Bilateral Process on Gibraltar
- HMS Sutherland conducts security patrols in BGTW
- Christmas Fair success
- GSD Asks Bossano to Calm Down
- Ministerial statement by William Hague
- Chief Minister meets Prime Minister in Downing Street
- GSD Continue Concerned over Macaques
- Royal Gibraltar Regiment MTP, medals and Movember
- Two Men Receive Prison Sentences for Indecent Assault
- Gibraltar Take Part in First European Draws
- Disability Movement Puts Things Right
- PDP hold Annual General Meeting
- Gibraltar Solutions Named as a Top Employer in the Greater Toronto Area!
- Newton creative awards 2012 – Music
- 39 months for Grievous bodily Harm with Intent
- GSD says ‘Government accusations of Cheating at the last elections are as foolish as they are false’.
- The Royal Gibraltar Police is Awarded the Bronze Level in Investors In People
- Handbags and gladrags event raises 570 pounds for women’s refuge