Smoking ban comes into force
Along with most other West European countries and in line with the Governments manifesto commitment, smoking in enclosed public places in Gibraltar will be banned with effect from the 1st October 2012. This measure is intended to prevent the ill-effects of second-hand smoke, as well as the influence among children who are likely to pick up the habit.
The ban will affect enclosed public places such as the Leisure Centre, Sports Halls, the John Mackintosh Hall, Cinemas, Theatres, Bars, Restaurants, Private Clubs, the Air Terminal, Cruise Liner Terminal, enclosed common areas of housing estates etc. The ban will extend to substantially enclosed premises open to the public, such as terraces, patios and balconies of such places, as well as yards or frontages which are covered by awnings on most sides. In addition, smoking will also be prohibited in public service vehicles, such as coaches, buses, and taxis.
The occupier or manager of any enclosed public place or of a public service vehicle must now provide and prominently display suitable No smoking signs at each entrance to the premises or public service vehicle. It will be an offence for persons to smoke within enclosed public places or public service vehicles and it will also be an offence for the occupier or manager of such enclosed public places or public service vehicles to allow smoking to take place.
The ill-effects of smoking are well-known to almost everyone, said Minister for Health, the Hon. Dr John Cortes, And I am delighted that Gibraltar is taking this important step to improve public health – and to make public service vehicles, restaurants and bars more family-friendly for their customers.
For more Information contact: Ministry for Health & Environment
St Bernard’s Hospital
Tel: 200 72266
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org www.gha.gi
Add to Facebook Add to Twitter Main News
Refer http://www.gibnews.net/cgi-bin/gn_view.pl/?GOGX120924_3.xmlRead More!
- Incursions into British Gibraltar Territorial Waters
comes force into Smoking
- GIBRALTAR: Mayor presents beautification award to residents, business
- Gibraltar Savings Bank
- HMG does not undertake meetings that constitute the Bilateral Process on Gibraltar
- HMS Sutherland conducts security patrols in BGTW
- Christmas Fair success
- GSD Asks Bossano to Calm Down
- Ministerial statement by William Hague
- Chief Minister meets Prime Minister in Downing Street
- GSD Continue Concerned over Macaques
- Royal Gibraltar Regiment MTP, medals and Movember
- Two Men Receive Prison Sentences for Indecent Assault
- Gibraltar Take Part in First European Draws
- Disability Movement Puts Things Right
- PDP hold Annual General Meeting
- Gibraltar Solutions Named as a Top Employer in the Greater Toronto Area!
- Newton creative awards 2012 – Music
- 39 months for Grievous bodily Harm with Intent
- GSD says ‘Government accusations of Cheating at the last elections are as foolish as they are false’.
- The Royal Gibraltar Police is Awarded the Bronze Level in Investors In People
- Handbags and gladrags event raises 570 pounds for women’s refuge