Protest outside the Convent
A new local group Gibraltar Struggle Against Spanish Nationalistic Oppression (GSSNO) held a peaceful demonstration outside the Convent today, Saturday, starting at 11.00am to co-incide with a similar protest outside Downing Street in London.
The aims of the protests are the same, that the group wants to highlight the bullying tactics of the Spanish government towards Gibraltar and its people and consider these protests as the first few steps in getting the peoples voices heard.
The UK protest was headed by local Gareth Gingell, and was planned to take place from 10 a.m. with a letter explaining the groups aims and reasons for the protests to be handed over to a 10 Downing Street official.
In Gibraltar Mrs Anne-Marie Struggles who led the demo gave a short address, and handed over a letter to Convent official, Christopher Tompson.
The published aims of the GSSNO are:
1. To get our message out to the world by capitalising on all forms of media and through demonstrations this includes newspapers, TV, Radio and the virtual world.
2. To lobby national, international and global organisations to support our cause – this is to be summarised by the fact that Spain has a population of 47 million, Gibraltar a population of 30,000. They must respect our wishes, rights and sovereignty in the modern world. The world cannot stand by while Spain bullies us into submission.
3. To challenge Spain to take any outstanding sovereignty and territorial claims to an independent and international tribunal
4. To stand united with one voice against oppression we the Gibraltarian people are a beacon to those who continue to fight oppression in all its forms. The struggle has been arduous and it is not yet over, but we believe that a consolidated push can bring us to the finishing line. To that end, the movement is above local party politics. We believe in democracy and the universal rights to which all humanity inherits.
Add to Facebook Add to Twitter Main News
Refer http://www.gibnews.net/cgi-bin/gn_view.pl/?MISC120623_1.xmlRead More!
- Change of ADC at the Convent
- Convent open day
- Unveiling of the Convent Model
- Gibraltar Award recipients at Convent investiture
Convent outside Protest
- GIBRALTAR: Mayor presents beautification award to residents, business
- Gibraltar Savings Bank
- HMG does not undertake meetings that constitute the Bilateral Process on Gibraltar
- HMS Sutherland conducts security patrols in BGTW
- Christmas Fair success
- GSD Asks Bossano to Calm Down
- Ministerial statement by William Hague
- Chief Minister meets Prime Minister in Downing Street
- GSD Continue Concerned over Macaques
- Royal Gibraltar Regiment MTP, medals and Movember
- Two Men Receive Prison Sentences for Indecent Assault
- Gibraltar Take Part in First European Draws
- Disability Movement Puts Things Right
- PDP hold Annual General Meeting
- Gibraltar Solutions Named as a Top Employer in the Greater Toronto Area!
- Newton creative awards 2012 – Music
- 39 months for Grievous bodily Harm with Intent
- GSD says ‘Government accusations of Cheating at the last elections are as foolish as they are false’.
- The Royal Gibraltar Police is Awarded the Bronze Level in Investors In People
- Handbags and gladrags event raises 570 pounds for women’s refuge