Opposition seeks to ‘Rubbish’ the Commonwealth Park
The Oppositions statement on the car parking facilities to be provided once Commonwealth Park has been established are as contradictory as they are short sighted and opportunistic.
Mr Figueras apparently wants to ignore what he has been told in Parliament about the magnificent plans for the provision of Commonwealth Park.
During answers to various questions about the Park, the Government has already confirmed that it has been approached with new proposals which will be cheaper for the whole community – something which is essential given the mismanagement of public funds which the Government inherited from the previous administration.
Whilst most right thinking members of our Community will welcome an excellent initiative by the GSLP/Liberal Government to deliver a green park area in the centre of our city, Mr Figueras’ approach to the Commonwealth Park appears to be that he will do anything to rubbish it said the Chief Minister, the Hon Fabian Picardo.
If we are able to deliver the park AND double the parking available free of charge in the area for Gibraltar residents at much less cost than would have been the case with an underground facility (without losing development prospects on other sites), then why does Mr Figueras want to insist on us doing it in a more expensive way? asked the Chief Minister.
Is that still the “throw money away” attitude of the GSD which got Gibraltar into the mess of the missing £100m of company borrowing and an airport the cost of which went from £24m to £80m?
We are now also negotiating to be able to have Commonwealth Park link up via and around the Kings Bastion Leisure Centre to a park in the area of the Naval Ground with further amenities provided there.
I am delighted in particular for residents of the Town Area that we will be able to deliver more parking also for them, as they have been ignored for years by the GSD, added Mr Picardo. The announcement by the Government of the progress being made in respect of Commonwealth Park will no doubt be seen as a further positive development in the delivery of a flagship manifesto commitment likely to be completed ahead of schedule and under the budget originally estimated and ENTIRELY within the relevant paragraphs of our manifesto explaining what would be provided.
Mr Figueras needs to work harder (even in August if necessary, despite the GSD apparently wishing to have the whole month off from their political duties) if he is going to avoid his press releases boomeranging back to embarrass him as much as his lame and lamentable remarks on the much anticipated Commonwealth Park have done.
Add to Facebook Add to Twitter Main News
Refer http://www.gibnews.net/cgi-bin/gn_view.pl/?GOGX120731_3.xmlRead More!
- GSD seeks clarification on Verdemar meeting
- Government confirms it invited Leader of the Opposition to New York
- Solar-powered lights for new car park
- Government Press Release on Disability Allowance is personalised nonsense say the Opposition
- GSD Now Support a Park they Never Delivered
'Rubbish' Commonwealth Opposition Park seeks
- GIBRALTAR: Mayor presents beautification award to residents, business
- Gibraltar Savings Bank
- HMG does not undertake meetings that constitute the Bilateral Process on Gibraltar
- HMS Sutherland conducts security patrols in BGTW
- Christmas Fair success
- GSD Asks Bossano to Calm Down
- Ministerial statement by William Hague
- Chief Minister meets Prime Minister in Downing Street
- GSD Continue Concerned over Macaques
- Royal Gibraltar Regiment MTP, medals and Movember
- Two Men Receive Prison Sentences for Indecent Assault
- Gibraltar Take Part in First European Draws
- Disability Movement Puts Things Right
- PDP hold Annual General Meeting
- Gibraltar Solutions Named as a Top Employer in the Greater Toronto Area!
- Newton creative awards 2012 – Music
- 39 months for Grievous bodily Harm with Intent
- GSD says ‘Government accusations of Cheating at the last elections are as foolish as they are false’.
- The Royal Gibraltar Police is Awarded the Bronze Level in Investors In People
- Handbags and gladrags event raises 570 pounds for women’s refuge