Official Bathing Season 2012
Saturday the 9th June will see the start of the Official Bathing Season, when full facilities become available at all Gibraltars beaches. These include Lifeguard and Royal Gibraltar Police cover, together with attendants at all the toilets. Changing rooms with showers (where available) will also be open. The season ends on the 10th September.
Although most beaches have been used for many months, a refurbishment programme has been carried out by the Gibraltar Tourist Board to ensure that all the beaches are at the highest possible standard for beachgoers in time for the commencement of the official bathing season. The assistance of beach users is requested to ensure that all these facilities remain in a good state by making sure that any litter is placed in the bins that are provided and if faults are discovered, that they are reported to the attendants on site.
Western Beach will also be opened but will be the subject of strict monitoring by the Environmental Agency, the Department of the Environment and the Gibraltar Tourist Board. A protocol for dealing with contamination is in place and bathing will not be allowed if there is deterioration in the water quality.
Some new initiatives have been added to the beaches, with the toilets at Western Beach being moved beside the entrance, extra parking at Eastern Beach and more access ramps at Sandy Bay.
Once again the Care Agency will be providing facilities at the northern part of Eastern Beach in order to allow people with temporary or permanent disabilities access to the beach with ease during the summer period. This service will allow individuals with a disability or restricted mobility the opportunity to access the sea and greater integration and enjoyment for families and friends. The facility can be accessed by residents of Gibraltar and those visiting Gibraltar.
The facilities will include a reception pergola which will be manned by Staff from the Care Agency and 3 beach tents. The specialised equipment will include amphibious chairs, a hoist and a wheelchair to assist people wishing to access the service from their cars. In addition to this, there will also be tables, chairs and umbrellas available for visitors to the service.
The service will run for the duration of the bathing season, opening from 12 noon to 7pm on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays and on Thursdays and Fridays from 11am to 6pm.
The Government will continue to work over the winter months to further improve Gibraltars beaches for next year.
For further information on the Eastern Beach Mobility Service, please contact:
Shopmobility Centre, ICC – 200 79898
Care Agency Beach Assistance – 54018017
Gibraltar Tourist Board, Duke of Kent House, Cathedral Square – 20071648 or 20074950
Add to Facebook Add to Twitter Main News
Refer http://www.gibnews.net/cgi-bin/gn_view.pl/?GOGX120608_1.xmlRead More!
- Newton creative awards 2012 – Music
- Gibraltar Industries to Present at Baird 2012 Industrial Conference
- Masters of Illusion 2012
- Gibraltar Industries to Announce Third Quarter 2012 Financial Results on November 1
- Gibraltar Autumn culture programme – 2012
2012 Bathing Official Season
- GIBRALTAR: Mayor presents beautification award to residents, business
- Gibraltar Savings Bank
- HMG does not undertake meetings that constitute the Bilateral Process on Gibraltar
- HMS Sutherland conducts security patrols in BGTW
- Christmas Fair success
- GSD Asks Bossano to Calm Down
- Ministerial statement by William Hague
- Chief Minister meets Prime Minister in Downing Street
- GSD Continue Concerned over Macaques
- Royal Gibraltar Regiment MTP, medals and Movember
- Two Men Receive Prison Sentences for Indecent Assault
- Gibraltar Take Part in First European Draws
- Disability Movement Puts Things Right
- PDP hold Annual General Meeting
- Gibraltar Solutions Named as a Top Employer in the Greater Toronto Area!
- Newton creative awards 2012 – Music
- 39 months for Grievous bodily Harm with Intent
- GSD says ‘Government accusations of Cheating at the last elections are as foolish as they are false’.
- The Royal Gibraltar Police is Awarded the Bronze Level in Investors In People
- Handbags and gladrags event raises 570 pounds for women’s refuge