No bull please
The Voice of Gibraltar Group notes that the Institute Cervantes has to date kept a low profile and avoided contentious topics. However, in seeking to promote the art of bullfighting they have chosen a topic that will place them into direct confrontation with Gibraltarians who share the Great British respect for animals.
As a representative of a foreign state which in general shows no respect towards the Gibraltarian people and its institutions, spending its money on promoting the language, wine tasting Zarusula, and obscure cultural talks is harmless and entertains and educates the small handful of people who attend.
No doubt there are aficionados of this barbaric practice locally, they can easily see it in its native setting or at home on Spanish television but are probably not interested in the esoteric cultural aspects. If its the Institute experimenting to see how contentious they can be before provoking a reaction, they have succeeded. Perhaps the next talk is about fishing to extinction, the art of incursion, and the benefits of blocking membership of UEFA.
Should any organisations wish to show their opinion in the traditional manner, the VOGG will support them. However a better outcome would be for the Institute to take note of public opinion and not to engage in defending the indefensible.
Add to Facebook Add to Twitter Main News
Refer http://www.gibnews.net/cgi-bin/gn_view.pl/?VOGG120507_1.xmlRead More!
- GIBRALTAR: Mayor presents beautification award to residents, business
- Gibraltar Savings Bank
- HMG does not undertake meetings that constitute the Bilateral Process on Gibraltar
- HMS Sutherland conducts security patrols in BGTW
- Christmas Fair success
- GSD Asks Bossano to Calm Down
- Ministerial statement by William Hague
- Chief Minister meets Prime Minister in Downing Street
- GSD Continue Concerned over Macaques
- Royal Gibraltar Regiment MTP, medals and Movember
- Two Men Receive Prison Sentences for Indecent Assault
- Gibraltar Take Part in First European Draws
- Disability Movement Puts Things Right
- PDP hold Annual General Meeting
- Gibraltar Solutions Named as a Top Employer in the Greater Toronto Area!
- Newton creative awards 2012 – Music
- 39 months for Grievous bodily Harm with Intent
- GSD says ‘Government accusations of Cheating at the last elections are as foolish as they are false’.
- The Royal Gibraltar Police is Awarded the Bronze Level in Investors In People
- Handbags and gladrags event raises 570 pounds for women’s refuge