Joseph Emanuel Triay
Joseph Emanuel Triay, QC. died yesterday aged 80. He became the senior partner of the law firm Triay & Triay in 1972 and was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 1982, He was the son of one of the founders, the late S.P.Triay, KC. and was particularly successful in the area of litigation.
He was called to the Bar in 1952 England & Wales, and Gibraltar,
Known for his different views on the future of Gibraltar, which were expressed in the sixties and seventies, He was part of the group calling itself “The Doves” which wrote a controversial letter to the “Gibraltar Chronicle” in March 1968 urging Gibraltar to seek settlement with Spain. The response was violent rioting and his yacht was burnt. His group formed itself into a political party, the Party for the Autonomy of Gibraltar, which stood for election but failed to achive any popularity,
The party printed and published newspaper the ‘Calpe News’ for some years.
Recognising that his political views would not be accepted, he concentrated on building up his highly successful legal firm and limiting his political activity to giving occasional interviews to visiting journalists. JE as he was referred to was aways an aproachable affable character who helped create the Gibraltar of today, even if it was not quite the way he originally envisioned it.
Add to Facebook Add to Twitter Main News
Refer http://www.gibnews.net/cgi-bin/gn_view.pl/?MISC120704_1.xmlRead More!
- Joseph Louis Canepa RIP
Emanuel Joseph Triay
- GIBRALTAR: Mayor presents beautification award to residents, business
- Gibraltar Savings Bank
- HMG does not undertake meetings that constitute the Bilateral Process on Gibraltar
- HMS Sutherland conducts security patrols in BGTW
- Christmas Fair success
- GSD Asks Bossano to Calm Down
- Ministerial statement by William Hague
- Chief Minister meets Prime Minister in Downing Street
- GSD Continue Concerned over Macaques
- Royal Gibraltar Regiment MTP, medals and Movember
- Two Men Receive Prison Sentences for Indecent Assault
- Gibraltar Take Part in First European Draws
- Disability Movement Puts Things Right
- PDP hold Annual General Meeting
- Gibraltar Solutions Named as a Top Employer in the Greater Toronto Area!
- Newton creative awards 2012 – Music
- 39 months for Grievous bodily Harm with Intent
- GSD says ‘Government accusations of Cheating at the last elections are as foolish as they are false’.
- The Royal Gibraltar Police is Awarded the Bronze Level in Investors In People
- Handbags and gladrags event raises 570 pounds for women’s refuge