HMS Westminster returns
HMS WESTMINSTER will arrive in Gibraltar on Sunday morning following a six months in the Middle East carrying out maritime security and counter-piracy patrols.
The190-strong ships company will be looking forward to some hard earned rest and recuperation and as a further morale boost, a number of parents and children from the ships company, will also embark in Gibraltar and set sail for the UK on Thursday.
She deployed in January 2012 having successfully completed demanding pre-deployment training and engineering works to prepare her for her current mission.
Last year HMS WESTMINSTER was deployed, at very short notice, to the Mediterranean to assist in evacuating UK nationals from Libya and to conduct other operations in support of United Nations Security Council resolutions against the Gaddafi regime. Many of the Ships Company who are currently deployed with the Ship were onboard during those operations and are drawing on their experiences for the current task in hand.
The ship was built at the world-famous Swan Hunter yard on Tyneside at the beginning of the 1990s, but since then shes been revamped and modernised on numerous occasions.
If you dont necessarily recognise her distinctive lines, you might recognise some of the compartments and mess decks.
HMS WESTMINSTER was used for filming several scenes for Pierce Brosnans outing as 007 in Tomorrow Never Dies when she played the part of the fictional HM Ships Chester, Devonshire and Bedford.
Add to Facebook Add to Twitter Main News
Refer http://www.gibnews.net/cgi-bin/gn_view.pl/?HQBF120803_1.xmlRead More!
- HMS Echo returns following a discovery the size of Gibraltar
- GIBRALTAR: Mayor presents beautification award to residents, business
- Gibraltar Savings Bank
- HMG does not undertake meetings that constitute the Bilateral Process on Gibraltar
- HMS Sutherland conducts security patrols in BGTW
- Christmas Fair success
- GSD Asks Bossano to Calm Down
- Ministerial statement by William Hague
- Chief Minister meets Prime Minister in Downing Street
- GSD Continue Concerned over Macaques
- Royal Gibraltar Regiment MTP, medals and Movember
- Two Men Receive Prison Sentences for Indecent Assault
- Gibraltar Take Part in First European Draws
- Disability Movement Puts Things Right
- PDP hold Annual General Meeting
- Gibraltar Solutions Named as a Top Employer in the Greater Toronto Area!
- Newton creative awards 2012 – Music
- 39 months for Grievous bodily Harm with Intent
- GSD says ‘Government accusations of Cheating at the last elections are as foolish as they are false’.
- The Royal Gibraltar Police is Awarded the Bronze Level in Investors In People
- Handbags and gladrags event raises 570 pounds for women’s refuge