GSD wishes All a Happy National Day
The GSD Opposition has today wished the people of Gibraltar a happy National Day which a spokesman said should principally be an opportunity to come together as a community to celebrate all that is good about our country and to honour the memory of past generations without whose sacrifices we would not enjoy the very high quality of life we enjoy to-day.
The GSD has reiterated its long standing position that, with the referendum on the New Constitution, Gibraltar has exercised its right to self determination in favour of the modern non colonial relationship with the United Kingdom that the new Constitution gave us, and that we must avoid allowing the position and attitudes of others outside Gibraltar towards us (which we reject) to dictate how we do things here in Gibraltar.
A spokesman said: Among the things we in Gibraltar do well as a community is to defend and uphold our political rights and aspirations as a people. It is right and necessary to do so. But, equally we must project normality. The more that our National Day celebrations resemble the normal way that other countries do it, the more Gibraltar will seem to others to be a normal country, and thus the more the position of others towards us will look abnormal. In our judgement, both in Government and now in Opposition, the continuation of the political rally in its old format risks condemning Gibraltar to a state of perpetual, defensive re-vindication, and thus gives credence to the theory of others that there is a problem that needs solving.
Indeed, over the last few years the format of our National Day has been much more typical of the European norm whilst at the same time declaring our solidarity with and our determination to defend and uphold our political rights and aspirations as a people, including the sovereignty of our country. The GSD will continue, with the rest of Gibraltar to defend those political rights and aspirations as we have done for over 20 years.
This is why the GSD Government changed the format of the official National Day celebrations and why we oppose the reintroduction of the old format, which we do not think is in Gibraltars best interests. Accordingly, GSD Members of Parliament will attend other civic National Day events organised by the Government, but will not attend the SDGG political rally in Casemates or their reception.
Have a wonderful National Day, and celebrate our country and its achievements with your family and friends in whatever way you believe best expresses them.
Add to Facebook Add to Twitter Main News
Refer http://www.gibnews.net/cgi-bin/gn_view.pl/?GSDX120906_2.xmlRead More!
- Royal Life Saving Society’s National Beach Lifeguard awards
- Gibraltar National Day 2012
- Two Gibraltar films for National Week
- UK Parliamentarians to visit Gibraltar for National Day
- National Day next week
Happy national wishes
- GIBRALTAR: Mayor presents beautification award to residents, business
- Gibraltar Savings Bank
- HMG does not undertake meetings that constitute the Bilateral Process on Gibraltar
- HMS Sutherland conducts security patrols in BGTW
- Christmas Fair success
- GSD Asks Bossano to Calm Down
- Ministerial statement by William Hague
- Chief Minister meets Prime Minister in Downing Street
- GSD Continue Concerned over Macaques
- Royal Gibraltar Regiment MTP, medals and Movember
- Two Men Receive Prison Sentences for Indecent Assault
- Gibraltar Take Part in First European Draws
- Disability Movement Puts Things Right
- PDP hold Annual General Meeting
- Gibraltar Solutions Named as a Top Employer in the Greater Toronto Area!
- Newton creative awards 2012 – Music
- 39 months for Grievous bodily Harm with Intent
- GSD says ‘Government accusations of Cheating at the last elections are as foolish as they are false’.
- The Royal Gibraltar Police is Awarded the Bronze Level in Investors In People
- Handbags and gladrags event raises 570 pounds for women’s refuge