GSD Now Support a Park they Never Delivered
The Opposition are clearly concerned about the massive support there is for the Government’s excellent plans for Commonwealth Park. As a result, they are clutching at straws in the hope of confusing the public about all the many benefits the park has to offer.
At the GSDs headquarters at College Lane, where everyone seems to have turned 180 degrees on most issues, the Opposition must have a special department which presses for the delivery of projects which it never considered or supported whilst it was in power!
The fact of the matter is that the GSD had 16 years in which to plan and deliver a green area in the centre of our city and yet they did not do so. In this term of office, the GSLP/Liberals have a manifesto commitment to deliver a splendid park which will be provided in the area of the present Commonwealth Car Park.
As part of the manifesto commitment, the Government has pledged to re-provide double the number of car parking spaces underground or in an alternative location, free for local residents. The Government has now been approached to re-provide these parking spaces in alternative locations at a lower cost than in an underground facility. As guardians of the public purse, we are duty bound to ensure that we deliver our manifesto commitments in the most cost efficient manner possible and are therefore in the process of doing so.
Minister for the Environment, John Cortes, said: “As with so many projects in our manifesto that the GSD never thought of in their time in Government, they are now doing U-turns all the time by pressing us to deliver Commonwealth Park although they would not have delivered it themselves.
There is one thing, however, on which the GSD have shown that they are consistent, and Mr Figueras seems to be as much a part of that philosophy as everyone else in his party, and that is that the GSD have a dangerous “money no object” approach to developments, which is what saddled Gibraltar with the £100m of Government company borrowing that was not repaid and with an airport that grew in cost from £24m to close on £80m. We will deliver Commonwealth Park and double the car parking spaces free for residents as we promised we would. When we do, entirely in keeping with our manifesto commitment, perhaps Mr Figueras will then have the grace to perform a political pirouette and congratulate the GSLP/Liberal Government for a job well done. I doubt he will.”
Add to Facebook Add to Twitter Main News
Refer http://www.gibnews.net/cgi-bin/gn_view.pl/?GOGX120807_1.xmlRead More!
- GSD says ‘Government accusations of Cheating at the last elections are as foolish as they are false’.
- Solar-powered lights for new car park
- Gibraltar 'will never be Spanish', leader vows
- Opposition seeks to ‘Rubbish’ the Commonwealth Park
- Highlanders support the Gibraltar Clubhouse project
Delivered Never Park support they
- GIBRALTAR: Mayor presents beautification award to residents, business
- Gibraltar Savings Bank
- HMG does not undertake meetings that constitute the Bilateral Process on Gibraltar
- HMS Sutherland conducts security patrols in BGTW
- Christmas Fair success
- GSD Asks Bossano to Calm Down
- Ministerial statement by William Hague
- Chief Minister meets Prime Minister in Downing Street
- GSD Continue Concerned over Macaques
- Royal Gibraltar Regiment MTP, medals and Movember
- Two Men Receive Prison Sentences for Indecent Assault
- Gibraltar Take Part in First European Draws
- Disability Movement Puts Things Right
- PDP hold Annual General Meeting
- Gibraltar Solutions Named as a Top Employer in the Greater Toronto Area!
- Newton creative awards 2012 – Music
- 39 months for Grievous bodily Harm with Intent
- The Royal Gibraltar Police is Awarded the Bronze Level in Investors In People
- Handbags and gladrags event raises 570 pounds for women’s refuge