The GSD Opposition is surprised at the fact that the fair was given the green light to proceed in the week leading to National Day.
The Opposition understands that when attempts were made previously to hold the fair during this week, these were resisted on the basis that it would cause a disruption to families, given that it coincides with the start of the academic year. Reports have come to the party of the frustration which many families are experiencing given that they will not be able to fully enjoy the fair because their children will have to be early in bed for an early start. The frustration has been made more acute because the fair ends on Friday 7th instead of continuing to the eve of National Day, which would have allowed a further 3 nights of more relaxed enjoyment.
The party has also received representations from members of the public who complain that holding the fair in the first week of September when most people are returning to work from their summer holidays is causing a severe parking problem for people who drive into work with the added difficulty that commencement of the school run represents.
The GSD whilst in Government listened to the advice of all interested parties and never shifted fair week to that of National week. This has been a bad decision and the Opposition roundly condemns the Government for allowing it to proceed on this basis, to the detriment of that sector of society which enjoys the fair most, i.e. our children. It is also causing a parking problem at a bad time of the year, which shows a lack of thought on the part of the Government. said a GSD spokesman.
Add to Facebook Add to Twitter Main News
Refer http://www.gibnews.net/cgi-bin/gn_view.pl/?GSDX120905_1.xmlRead More!
- Christmas Fair success
- GIBRALTAR: Mayor presents beautification award to residents, business
- Gibraltar Savings Bank
- HMG does not undertake meetings that constitute the Bilateral Process on Gibraltar
- HMS Sutherland conducts security patrols in BGTW
- Christmas Fair success
- GSD Asks Bossano to Calm Down
- Ministerial statement by William Hague
- Chief Minister meets Prime Minister in Downing Street
- GSD Continue Concerned over Macaques
- Royal Gibraltar Regiment MTP, medals and Movember
- Two Men Receive Prison Sentences for Indecent Assault
- Gibraltar Take Part in First European Draws
- Disability Movement Puts Things Right
- PDP hold Annual General Meeting
- Gibraltar Solutions Named as a Top Employer in the Greater Toronto Area!
- Newton creative awards 2012 – Music
- 39 months for Grievous bodily Harm with Intent
- GSD says ‘Government accusations of Cheating at the last elections are as foolish as they are false’.
- The Royal Gibraltar Police is Awarded the Bronze Level in Investors In People
- Handbags and gladrags event raises 570 pounds for women’s refuge