Drugs siezure at sea
In the early hours of Monday 9 April 2012 as a result of ongoing collaborative work with the Guardia Civil the RGP Police launch started to track a vessel which was on the eastside of Gibraltar making its way to Europa Point.
Due to the nature of the information a number of police officers were placed in strategic positions around the rock to enable to follow the direction of the said vessel. The said vessel then made its way towards Rosia Bay and then concealed itself behind one of the tankers anchored in the bay.
Due to police spotters information was passed on to the RGP launch which made its way towards the said tanker, but on being seen the said vessel, which could now be identified as a red rigid semi inflatable, started to get away from the RGP launch. A chase then ensued with beacons and sirens applied, and in the process, one of the occupants was seen to jettison what appeared to a Cannabis Bale into the sea. The RGP vessel managed to stop this RHIB which was seen to be fully loaded with bales suspected to be Cannabis Resin.
Both occupants of the RHIB were arrested on suspicion of being in possession of the said drugs with intent to supply others. Forty Eight (48) bales were found on this vessel and estimated that each bale weighed approximately 25 kilos, to an approximate weight of 1.2 tonnes.
The vessel and both defendants namely Angel SERRAN PADILLA dob: 26/09/84 and Mateo RUIZ FAJARDO dob: 09/05/84 and resident in Ceuta were conveyed to Police Marine Base.
They were then transferred to Police Headquarters where they were interviewed under caution.
They were subsequently charged jointly with the following offences:
1. Possession of a controlled drug namely approximately 1200 kilos of Cannabis Resin.
2. Possession of a Controlled drug, namely approximately 1200 kilos of Cannabis Resin with intent to supply another or others.
3. Jettisoning Cargo
4. Importing a Prohibited Import, namely a rigid inflatable boat.
They appeared in the Magistrates Court where they were remanded in custody.
This has been the largest seizure of Cannabis Resin in recent years where persons have been arrested and charged with possession of the said drugs.
The estimated street value of the said seizure is £7.2 million.
Add to Facebook Add to Twitter Main News
Refer http://www.gibnews.net/cgi-bin/gn_view.pl/?RGPX120410_1.xmlRead More!
- Guilty Plea for Drugs
- GIBRALTAR: Mayor presents beautification award to residents, business
- Gibraltar Savings Bank
- HMG does not undertake meetings that constitute the Bilateral Process on Gibraltar
- HMS Sutherland conducts security patrols in BGTW
- Christmas Fair success
- GSD Asks Bossano to Calm Down
- Ministerial statement by William Hague
- Chief Minister meets Prime Minister in Downing Street
- GSD Continue Concerned over Macaques
- Royal Gibraltar Regiment MTP, medals and Movember
- Two Men Receive Prison Sentences for Indecent Assault
- Gibraltar Take Part in First European Draws
- Disability Movement Puts Things Right
- PDP hold Annual General Meeting
- Gibraltar Solutions Named as a Top Employer in the Greater Toronto Area!
- Newton creative awards 2012 – Music
- 39 months for Grievous bodily Harm with Intent
- GSD says ‘Government accusations of Cheating at the last elections are as foolish as they are false’.
- The Royal Gibraltar Police is Awarded the Bronze Level in Investors In People
- Handbags and gladrags event raises 570 pounds for women’s refuge