Chief Minister meets Prime Minister in Downing Street
The Chief Minister Fabian Picardo met Prime Minister David Cameron at No 10 Downing Street this afternoon. This is the first time in decades that a Gibraltar Chief Minister has been invited to 10 Downing Street to meet a Prime Minister but it is the second time that Mr Picardo has met the Prime Minister this year, the first having been during the events celebrating Her Majesty’s Diamond Jubilee.
At the meeting with other Overseas Territory Premiers, the Chief Minister was able to discuss with Mr Cameron the issue of Spain’s continued aggression in respect of British Gibraltar Territorial Waters of which the Prime Minister was fully aware. Mr Cameron’s commitment to Gibraltar was clear in his unequivocal statements as to the security of British Sovereignty over all of Gibraltar. Mr Picardo was also able to raise with the Prime Minister the issue of the Treasury’s proposed “Point of Consumption Tax” and the potential effects on the Remote Gaming Industry and the likely consequences for jobs in Gibraltar, which Mr Cameron agreed to consider with Treasury colleagues.
It was clear that Mr Cameron was keen to work with the Overseas Territories and that he is committed to the principle of partnership set out in the White Paper published earlier this year. He was well aware of relevant issues affecting all the Territories.
The meeting came about as a result of the Joint Ministerial Council of the UK Overseas
Territories being held in London.
Add to Facebook Add to Twitter Main News
Refer http://www.gibnews.net/cgi-bin/gn_view.pl/?GOGX121205_2.xmlRead More!
- Chief Minister presents Media Awards
- Statement to Parliament by the Chief Minister, Hon Fabian Picardo MP
- Chief Minister’s address to the UN 4th Committee
- Chief Minister addresses Labour Party Reception
- Busy political schedule for Chief Minister
Chief Downing meets Minister Prime Street
- GIBRALTAR: Mayor presents beautification award to residents, business
- Gibraltar Savings Bank
- HMG does not undertake meetings that constitute the Bilateral Process on Gibraltar
- HMS Sutherland conducts security patrols in BGTW
- Christmas Fair success
- GSD Asks Bossano to Calm Down
- Ministerial statement by William Hague
- Chief Minister meets Prime Minister in Downing Street
- GSD Continue Concerned over Macaques
- Royal Gibraltar Regiment MTP, medals and Movember
- Two Men Receive Prison Sentences for Indecent Assault
- Gibraltar Take Part in First European Draws
- Disability Movement Puts Things Right
- PDP hold Annual General Meeting
- Gibraltar Solutions Named as a Top Employer in the Greater Toronto Area!
- Newton creative awards 2012 – Music
- 39 months for Grievous bodily Harm with Intent
- GSD says ‘Government accusations of Cheating at the last elections are as foolish as they are false’.
- The Royal Gibraltar Police is Awarded the Bronze Level in Investors In People
- Handbags and gladrags event raises 570 pounds for women’s refuge