Cause and effect
The GSD condemns the actions by the Spanish Government in artificially creating long border queues and delays as a form of political weapon. These actions, being politically motivated and vindictive as they are, are unlawful, immoral and unworthy of an EU member Government against the people of another part of the European Union. They are wholly unjustified, and the UK Government must prevail upon Spain to stop them.
Regrettably, Gibraltar now appears to be suffering the consequences, of which we warned, of the Governments unnecessary tampering with the Fishing Agreement and its subsequent mishandling of the fishing crisis that followed.
While Spains behaviour at the border is in no sense justified or acceptable, it was nevertheless the predictable (and predicted) consequence of the unnecessary fishing dispute and its mishandling by the Government.
Commenting on the situation, Leader of the Opposition Peter Caruana said today:
When Mr Picardo embarked on the unnecessary and dangerous course of the overnight cancellation of the Fishing Agreement, I warned that the consequences for Gibraltar would be considerable and that the Government, having unnecessarily opened this front of dispute, should seek to resolve the matter at the earliest opportunity. Regrettably that has not occurred. It is little consolation that Spains behaviour is itself wholly wrong and unacceptable.
Add to Facebook Add to Twitter Main News
Refer http://www.gibnews.net/cgi-bin/gn_view.pl/?GSDX121015_2.xmlRead More!
- GIBRALTAR: Mayor presents beautification award to residents, business
- Gibraltar Savings Bank
- HMG does not undertake meetings that constitute the Bilateral Process on Gibraltar
- HMS Sutherland conducts security patrols in BGTW
- Christmas Fair success
- GSD Asks Bossano to Calm Down
- Ministerial statement by William Hague
- Chief Minister meets Prime Minister in Downing Street
- GSD Continue Concerned over Macaques
- Royal Gibraltar Regiment MTP, medals and Movember
- Two Men Receive Prison Sentences for Indecent Assault
- Gibraltar Take Part in First European Draws
- Disability Movement Puts Things Right
- PDP hold Annual General Meeting
- Gibraltar Solutions Named as a Top Employer in the Greater Toronto Area!
- Newton creative awards 2012 – Music
- 39 months for Grievous bodily Harm with Intent
- GSD says ‘Government accusations of Cheating at the last elections are as foolish as they are false’.
- The Royal Gibraltar Police is Awarded the Bronze Level in Investors In People
- Handbags and gladrags event raises 570 pounds for women’s refuge