1999 Fishing agreement
The Government notes the recent remarks by the Leader of the Opposition about the effect of the 1999 Fishing Agreement.
The fact is that after the 1999 agreement, Spanish commercial fishing vessels continued to fish with impunity in British Gibraltar Territorial Waters using methods which were against the law. The agreement done by Mr Caruanas administration sought to influence and minimise the policy of the Nature Protection Act and in this way to interfere with the manner in which the law of Gibraltar was being applied.
It will be recalled, that in its 4th report the Foreign Affairs Committee of the House of Commons declared that:
Whatever agreement there may be between the British and Spanish Governments, or between Mr Caruana and the fishermen, it is for the Commissioner to decide how to enforce the law. It is wrong to place a Chief Officer in a position where he is asked to enforce the law in a way which is politically expedient.
The new Government, in contrast, does not seek to influence the Royal Gibraltar Police in the enforcement of any laws, environmental or otherwise.
Add to Facebook Add to Twitter Main News
Refer http://www.gibnews.net/cgi-bin/gn_view.pl/?GOGX120509_1.xmlRead More!
- Government policy on fishing is based precisely on respect for the law
- Talks about Fishing
- Gibraltar Team for Fishing Commission
- Fishing for money …
- Spanish fishing row off Gibraltar
1999 agreement Fishing
- GIBRALTAR: Mayor presents beautification award to residents, business
- Gibraltar Savings Bank
- HMG does not undertake meetings that constitute the Bilateral Process on Gibraltar
- HMS Sutherland conducts security patrols in BGTW
- Christmas Fair success
- GSD Asks Bossano to Calm Down
- Ministerial statement by William Hague
- Chief Minister meets Prime Minister in Downing Street
- GSD Continue Concerned over Macaques
- Royal Gibraltar Regiment MTP, medals and Movember
- Two Men Receive Prison Sentences for Indecent Assault
- Gibraltar Take Part in First European Draws
- Disability Movement Puts Things Right
- PDP hold Annual General Meeting
- Gibraltar Solutions Named as a Top Employer in the Greater Toronto Area!
- Newton creative awards 2012 – Music
- 39 months for Grievous bodily Harm with Intent
- GSD says ‘Government accusations of Cheating at the last elections are as foolish as they are false’.
- The Royal Gibraltar Police is Awarded the Bronze Level in Investors In People
- Handbags and gladrags event raises 570 pounds for women’s refuge